"An Ode to English Design . . . "

Photography by Virginia Macdonald

Greetings all,

As one might imagine, any article titled "English Eccentricity" is bound to catch my attention - lol. And this charming home of Sean Ward and Stephen Fillmore highlighted by Style at Home magazine clearly pinged my design radar. Just a little home from the 1870s, in the Cabbagetown neighbourhood of Toronto, filled with beautiful antiques, flooded with light, and bursting with comfortable style.

The Dining Room
click any image for a larger, more detailed view.

"The modern art paired with traditional furniture and in particular
the carpet creates an energy, whether we're dining or just passing through."
- Sean Ward

I'm almost always a sucker for a collection of well-used antique china - gathered from
local antique stores as well as family heirlooms.


Skylights. French Doors. The down-filled loveseat for extra seating. The charming Italian toile chandelier. And the flexibility of the gate-legged table. Perfection. And I love the trim detail on the wall treatment. (Maybe upholstered with the same textile from the loveseat?) And the fresh, bright green colour.



Aaaahhhhh . . .

"I injected some oomph with orange saris," says Sean. "then
we spruced up the junk shop chandelier with
spray paint and new shades."

"The result is a look with an English sensibility – that slightly
eccentric style of mixing periods of furniture
and art, and patterns and texture."
- Sean Ward

If only I could fit a upholstered chair in my bathroom at
my home. How happy would THAT make me?


Sean Ward and Stephen Fillmore in the entryway. with the dogs.

Cheers,
tartanscot

Comments

Lord Cowell said…
I have just discovered your blog, and it's wonderful. I look forward to following it more closely.
Regards,
David.
La Maison Fou said…
Love the dogs....and the people too!
Leslie
melissa said…
Scot:
I am officially beside myself after reading your past two posts. Am so green with house envy that I look like Elphaba. Many thanks for the eye candy - we'll see if The Husband thanks you as I madly redecorate in honor of Sean Ward and John Jacob Interiors...

xo
melissa
Gwen Driscoll said…
Scott,

Love the china closet. I have so many sets I can't use them all in a year's time. And, the whole house is spectacular! Hope you are well.
Gwen Driscoll said…
Scott,

Love the china closet. I have so many sets I can't use them all in a year's time. And, the whole house is spectacular! Hope you are well.
vignette design said…
What a beautiful, traditional home. I loved the dining room rug and the bedroom and bathroom were especially lovely. Oh but that entry with black and white floor! How adorable are the dogs with their masters too! --Delores
ruthandnancy said…
ahhhhh the china closet...!
Anonymous said…
Scott...for any of your readers who may reside in Toronto or who may be visiting on 2010.09.19, this house is being shown on the Cabbagetown Tour of Homes. More information can be found at http://www.cabbagetownpa.ca/Pages/08NewsEvents.html. Great blog, by the way!

Popular Posts