"National Tartan Day 2014 . . . "



Greetings,

Once again - as we wind our way into early April - the National Tartan Day alert pings on my calendar program.  The date was first celebrated in 1997 - as a day to recognize Americans of Scottish descent. So - as per usual - we host a festival of images celebrating all things tartan.  The collection of pictures includes shots from some of our projects here in California, from our recent spread in House Beautiful (from my own home!), and fashion from around the world.

I hope you're celebrating the day in great style . . .

SMW Design, Nob Hill Library 
Alexander Villevalde, Self Portrait
SMW Design, from House Beautiful 2013
(photography by Thayer Gowdy)


Lapo Elkan, for Vogue 
SMW Design, from House Beautiful 2013
(photography by Thayer Gowdy)
SMW Design, from House Beautiful 2013
(photography by Thayer Gowdy)
The Queen Mother, at the Highland Fling

SMW Design, Holiday 2011
(photography by Nicolas Smith)

SMW Design, Piedmont Library
(photography by Nicolas Smith)

Hackett London, Fall 2013 
The Prince of Wales
SMW Design, for House Beautiful 2013
(photography by Thayer Gowdy)

Cheers,
Scot

Comments

A Bonnie FABULOUS post Scot.

It's good to be fro Scotland!

ann chamberlain said…
I just love the way you put things together. If I win the Lottery will you reed my home for me?
Anonymous said…
Have I told you this before? I was "not asked back" to every single private school in Pasadena; California. I was sent , in 1963 to Massachusetts to a "boarding school" (another word for "hell")

The one lovely thing was there was a little store in Northampton that was a "Scottish store"!~ They would research your "tartan" and "make by hand" a kilt of it for your measurements! (fabric made in Scotland)!!
I asked my mother (by letter) and she said "Yes"!
It was the loveliest thing EVER!
All hand-stitched. with a gorgeous kilt-pin!
where the hell is it?
In my "camera in my head"!!
What a lovely memory! It actually saved me from dying in that dreadful place!
I came "home"

What a lovely post!
Merlin said…
BRèAGA!!! 'You're a glaikit scunner'
franki
Siddons said…
As a Canadian/Scot, I'd like to add a wee bit more info to you post, taken from Wikipedia. "On March 9, 1986, a 'Tartan Day' to promote Scottish heritage in Canada, was proposed at a meeting of the Federation of Scottish Clans in Nova Scotia.[1]Jean Watson, President of Clan Lamont, petitioned provincial legislatures to recognize April 6 as Tartan Day.[1] The first such proclamation was by Nova Scotia in April 1987; other provinces followed suit until Quebec was the last to fall in line, in December 2003.[1]
In Australia, wearing tartan on July 1 has been encouraged since 1989. The day has been promoted as International Tartan Day in Australia since 1996[2] and has been formally recognized by many states, but not at national level. TheUnited States Senate recognized April 6 as Tartan Day in 1998."

Popular Posts