"Thank You Traditional Home . . . "



Greetings,

The scene is fairly easy to imagine.  I'm racing through the airport in Dallas, TX to make my final connection to get back to San Francisco on Friday evening - but, I also have a HUGE errand weighing on my mind.  I *know* the new issue of Traditional Home has hit the newsstands - and I recall that our showcase house from last Fall is slated to be included in the issue.

Well.  Missed flight be damned.  I'm stopping to see if I can find a copy of the new issue. 

And - y'all - what an issue it is.

But - first.  I trip down memory lane.


This was our showcase room last fall - The Dark and Stormy Study as we liked to call it.

"In the Cheese Barn living room, exposed rafters reminded designer 
Scot Meacham Wood of a ship’s hull, sparking in his imagination 
the story of a retired sea captain who craved a dark and stormy 
retreat away from the main house."

I wanted to create a space that was intentionally private.  A gentlemen's retreat.  But, keeping with the rustic ambiance of the existing space.  Besides simply experimenting within the confines of the space - I also wanted to play with the styling of the room - and offer myself a wee challenge.  I'm very often known for my lush, layered spaces - but, I wanted this room to feel much more reserved.  More spare.  Well-traveled but, incredibly edited.  As though my gentlemen captain had gathered items from his time as sea - but, only very special pieces.  I've done a few yachts in my time - and they sea-going vessels are not known for their generous storage.  Even as we were finalizing the work orders for the project - someone in my office actually said out loud, "This can't be right - there are only 5 pillows?"  

Textiles from Ralph Lauren Home and Kravet were the perfect accompaniment to my maritime idea - as were a lovely collection of pieces from Garden Court Antiques and Antique and Art Exchange - two of my regular haunts here in San Francisco.  Where else would you find a ship model almost 8 feet tall?  And the Bunny Williams table lighting was a sly nod to imported blue/white porcelain - but, with a much more modern point of view. 

The real drama happened on the walls.  I loved the combination of Cole & Sons "Nuvolette" wallpaper contrasted with the work of local artist Daniel Tousignant.  The modern painting almost turned into another window - but, looking out onto a hyper-realized cloudscape amongst the stormy walls.  


“To me, the design of the paper recalled maps from the early 1800s. It’s the perfect background for some of the more modern pieces, such as Daniel Tousignant’s "Big Sky" painting,” Wood says. He finished the room by layering in antiques that speak to tales of maritime history.
- from Traditional Home 

Keep an eye out for the October issue of Traditional Home - and enjoy showcase tours from the east and west coast!  

Comments

Karena said…
Congrats Scot, these rooms are designed so beautifully! Great mood! Love the dining wallcoverings!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena
Featuring India Hicks!
Merlin said…
THIS IS A WINNER!!!! franki

Popular Posts